Tuesday, February 9, 2016

DW Micro Minnow

  I sat at my bench the other day, taking mental stock of what I have and what I'd like to do, and a subconscious instinct took over. Apparently my inner fly child was telling me I needed more variety of flies for the annual spring panfish bonanza/harvest/massacre. I call it that because not all participants practice sound conservation ideals. Anyways...before I knew it I had a handful of of what I call the diamond wing micro minnow. They were tied on #10 &  #12  partridge hooks and 3/32" bead.



   They should be shallow water "crappie killers". Or should I say "crappie catch and releasers".

10 comments:

  1. John, awesome pattern.
    That is the size that you see swimming in droves along the dock pilings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan.
      I was hoping to closely imitate those small horizontal flashes of color.

      Delete
  2. Great looking flies. Those will definitely attract some crappie and other panfish. Great hooks, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justin.
      Yeah...I've learned the hard way not to skimp on cheap hooks.

      Delete
  3. These flies look great, love the flash in them. Will definitely fish well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben
      I've tied much larger versions for a couple years and they seem to attract most things that swim.

      Delete
  4. When I put together my warm water box, that fly will be the first addition. Great looking fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Howard.
      It took about 15 minutes to tie that mitt full.

      Delete
  5. Look great! I love them, I think it will take me more than 20 minutes to finish all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luis.
      It takes me the same amount of time to tie the materials as to fit the bead on the hook!

      Delete